Author Topic: Reseting Motorola DCH6416  (Read 10686 times)

Offline dthompsonaz

• Bantha Poodu
    • View Profile
Reseting Motorola DCH6416
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:19:52 PM »
HI everyone,
I just received a Motorola DCH6416 as a gift.  I had hooked it up and was working with it, while trying to find a code to program my Sony RMAV-3000 remote to control the 6416. I was able to view analog stations, but nothing else.  I was moving through some menu items selecting them to see what the menu item did e.g. test the internal HD.  At some point I select some menu item that caused the 6416 to power off, then power up and display 8888 on the digital readout. It also does not display any information to the monitor (via component video output). It does not respond to the remote at all. After a few minutes it "cycles" off and back to 8888.  I can force it display "boot" of I hold the "menu" button on the front panel of the player.  Other than that nothing. Any suggestions, or reset procedures?  I have downloaded the PDF manual from the Motorola site, however it is very thin on how to set up the device.

Offline Miller

• Administrator
  • Jedi Master
  • Computer junkie, math professor, father
    • View Profile
Re: Reseting Motorola DCH6416
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:33:04 PM »
I don't know anything about it, sorry. But I would like for some sort of hard reset. Either a dedicated button and something you hold down while it powers on. Have you contacted Motorola?
Office: E8400 3.0GHz Dual-Core-45nm | 6GB DDR2-800 | 1 500GB HD - Program Files | 1 750GB HD - Recording | HVR 2250 | ATI Theater 550 Pro | AMD HD 3650 | Win7-64bit Pro | GBPVR - server |

Living Room: ASRock Core 100HT-BD | Win7-64bit Pro | GBPVR client| 42" LG Plasma | Pioneer VSX-D608 | Wii |

Bedroom: Served by MediaMVP | 27" Panasonic CRT TV |

Windows Home Server | 7 TB storage

Offline turajb

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • Turajb's Web Site
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:59:33 PM »
Since the Motorola DCH6416 is a CableCard specific device, I have a sinking feeling your cable/TV service provider remotely disabled the hardware.  Remember many CableCard ready devices do perform 2 way communications with the TV service provider; specially upon start-up/booting when they sync up with the provider's network/service.

You said it yourself, you can get the device to indicate its starting to boot, but returns an 8888 code & then resets itself.  This sounds like a device that was remotely disabled by the cable/TV service provider to me...

Cable TV service providers around me, routinely remotely scan for & disable/block 3rd party hardware, which was not registered through them.  They do this to prevent theft of cable TV/internet services & ensure only compliant/legal hardware is used on their networks.

I also know that some cable/TV service providers also disable 3rd party cablecard devices, when the user have not purchased one of their cable cards from them (i.e. when users are trying to use a hacked cablecard or smart card to bypass their security measures).

I ran into a similar issue with an old Motorola cable modem I used to own.  I wanted to use with my cable TV service's ISP, since I kept having problems with their provided cable modem.  I was unable to access or use my own hardware on their ISP network, until the hardware was registered to my account within their ISP's network & they released the hardware lockout they set to prevent its usage.

However I do agree with Miller, you should contact Motorola & see what they have to say.  If Motorola cannot tell you what that 8888 code means or of they cannot unlock it (if its securoty locked), then you will likely need to contact your cable/TV service provider, and ensure you do not need to register the hardware with them first &/or unlock the hardware.

Of course, this is just my 2 cents...
New PVR: Intel D945GCLF2 [Atom 330], 2GB RAM RAM, 1TB SATAII HD, Hauppauge HVR1600, Lite-On 20X DVDRW, Small Mini-ITX case, Hauppauge MCE IR Remote/Blaster, DirecTV D12-500 STB -- Windows XP SP3, GBPVR v1.4.7, Official Hauppauge drivers & Intervideo Decoder, IR Server Suite, Wireless MediaMVP (for TV in bedroom).

Old PVR: Epia SP1300, 1GB DDR400 RAM, 100GB IDE HD (for OS), 2 - 500GB SATAII HD [1TB - RAID 0] (for PVR data), Hauppauge PVR500, Sony DL 16X +/- RW DVD, Morex 668 case, iMON Inside IR Remote, Hauppauge MCE IR Blaster w/FIOS settop box -- with Epia Bios v1.06 (BETA1), Windows XP SP3, GBPVR v1.3.11, Official Hauppauge PVR500 drivers, Cyberlink 8 Decoder, IR Server Suite.

A full write-up of this PVR build, can be found here:
http://www.hoflink.com/~turajb/pvr/

Offline dthompsonaz

• Bantha Poodu
    • View Profile
Re: Resetting Motorola DCH6416
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:24:18 AM »
Thanks to both of you.  Actually I live in an area that does not have cable.  I was using my roof top antenna to pull in signals, ( I was receiving ch 3, 5 analog VHF) until I tromped through the various menu items.  I was looking to run a program scan to see if the unit could pull in OTA digital signals.  That's when the unit flashed and went 8888.  Any way to get back to out of the box configuration?

Offline turajb

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • Turajb's Web Site
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 04:35:35 AM »
Unfortunately since I don't have such that specific box, I cannot tell you.  However Motorola may be able to tell you how you may be able to reset the box's config back to factory defaults, if its at all possible to do on your own.

Some googling seams to point to the 8888 code being an error code that indicate a hardware failure which needs to be professionally serviced or that the firmware is damaged.

The down side is that since you did not get that box from a cable/TV service provider, I don;t know how you would be able to get the box serviced/replaced or at least reprogrammed with the newest firmware.  Again, Motorola should be able to give you more options and maybe recommend a place to have the box fixed.

At this point I'm not sure if there is any up side to this situation...  :(

Sorry I could not be of more help...

Edit: since you stated that you received this as a gift, is there any way to exchange it for a new one or send it out for warranty replacement???  Just an thought...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:40:22 AM by turajb »
New PVR: Intel D945GCLF2 [Atom 330], 2GB RAM RAM, 1TB SATAII HD, Hauppauge HVR1600, Lite-On 20X DVDRW, Small Mini-ITX case, Hauppauge MCE IR Remote/Blaster, DirecTV D12-500 STB -- Windows XP SP3, GBPVR v1.4.7, Official Hauppauge drivers & Intervideo Decoder, IR Server Suite, Wireless MediaMVP (for TV in bedroom).

Old PVR: Epia SP1300, 1GB DDR400 RAM, 100GB IDE HD (for OS), 2 - 500GB SATAII HD [1TB - RAID 0] (for PVR data), Hauppauge PVR500, Sony DL 16X +/- RW DVD, Morex 668 case, iMON Inside IR Remote, Hauppauge MCE IR Blaster w/FIOS settop box -- with Epia Bios v1.06 (BETA1), Windows XP SP3, GBPVR v1.3.11, Official Hauppauge PVR500 drivers, Cyberlink 8 Decoder, IR Server Suite.

A full write-up of this PVR build, can be found here:
http://www.hoflink.com/~turajb/pvr/