Author Topic: Dish Network 322 Receiver: Screensaver Problem/Possible Solu  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Taliesin

• Padawan Learner
    • View Profile
    • http://
Dish Network 322 Receiver: Screensaver Problem/Possible Solu
« on: January 13, 2005, 06:09:20 PM »
**EDITED AT BOTTOM**

This problem is pretty well documented in other forums, but I found nothing here.  I thought that if we wanted to make byopvr.com your "one-stop" for information on these kinds of things, I'd toss some stuff out here.

The Dish Network 322 Dual Tuner receiver is a newer receiver only available if you lease your equipment.  The Hauppauge PVR-150 IR Blaster WILL control this receiver, albeit a little slow.  (Apparently a problem that plagues most IR Blasters.)  However, I have run into a very annoying problem with this receiver.

Every night, the receiver does an update of both the Dish program guide AND the Reciever software.  At that time, the receiver is put into AND LEFT IN standby mode, which causes a Dish Network logo screensaver to pop up and bounce around the screen until you press the SELECT button on the SATELLITE REMOTE.  Well, if you are using a computer remote to control the computer and the computer to control the receiver, then there is no SELECT button.  Because of this, I ended up with 1 CSI, 2 Cosby Shows, and 1 MXC, ALL of which are FILLED with the bouncy dish logo screensaver.

There are workarounds, however.

Workaround #1: Many people report that this screensaver ONLY happens when the Dish goes into standby mode to do the update in the middle of the night.  In the Dish menus, you can disable Updates.  Problem solved...almost.

After a couple days, the Dish receiver starts complaining that it doesn't have the most recent program guide.  No big deal if you're using a program that has its own program guide.  However, whenever you try and change the channel, it complains about this, and the complant screen requires you to select "Don't update" and then press the SELECT button.  Again with the SELECT BUTTON!!!  So workaround #1 is only presented if someone knows how to disable the "I'm not updated" complaints.

Workaround #2: Since the screensaver only appears when it updates, and you can control the update time, you can first set the update time to happen during a time when nothing you want to record is on.  For me, this was between 5-6 AM or so.  The Cosby Show comes on at 4AM and 4:30AM, so I didn't necessarily like the default time of 3AM.  

I set the updates to happen at 5:15AM.  I THEN set a Timer (Auto-Tune) on the Dish box to tune to channel 13 at 5:30 AM, after the update has completed.  (Dish claims that their update only takes a couple seconds to a couple minutes.  I gave it 15 minutes just in case.)  According to reports I have received, the auto-tune will automatically shut off the screen saver.

There is a downside to this.  If something comes on that I want to record at 5-5:30 AM, then the screensaver will pop up at 5:15AM, and then at 5:30, the tuner will just switch to channel 13.  I have to pay close attention to WHEN I'm programming things to record, which is slightly annoying.

Here's another possible monkey wrench:  Some people have reported that this screen saver thing happens during a period of inactivity as well.  Apparently, some people have confirmed that this receiver will pop up a screensaver after 4 hours of not changing channel on the receiver.  I cannot confirm this yet.  (More information will follow tonight.)  My co-worker, who also has the 322 says that the screensaver thing ONLY happens at 3am when his receiver updates.  He apparently falls asleep in front of the TV a lot.  He says he often falls asleep at 8pm in front of the TV, and has woken up at 2 in the morning (after 5 hours of inactivity) and the TV is still up and running.  If he wakes up after 3, however, (after the updates), he gets the screen saver.

If this inactivity screen saver is a reality, then the only way I can see to get around it is to set an auto-tuner every 3-4 hours, which would really mess things up.

Some of the same people who reported this inactivity screen saver ALSO reported that they were able to go into the Installation settings in the Dish Menus and turn the screensaver off.  I do not have this option, so I can only surmise that the inactivity screensaver is from a different version of the firmware, and has since been removed.

If anyone can confirm or deny anything I have said in this post, please do!  I'm anxious for information on this topic.  To be honest, a lot of people rather than use these workarounds have chosen to either go with a different receiver, like the 301, or even a different service altogether.

In my opinion, there is no real reason to not allow the user to disable any screensavers he or she doesn't want, except for one thing.  Dish wants to claim that their receivers are incompatible with any non-Echostar DVR units.  This screensaver thing looks to be a way they've come up with to ensure that this is the case.  If Dish can convince the world that we need to go with their DVR receivers and pay $5 a month for them, then they win.  If Dish continues on this path, I will be deserting them as well.

-Chris

edit - My wife got home a few minutes ago, and I had her check the TV.  Hasn't been touched since I left for work at 7:30 AM.  7.5 hours later, no screensaver.  So I don't have a 4 hour inactivity timer, which is good.  Now, I just need to verify that my auto-tune timer will turn the screensaver off, and if so, then all will be well, as far as I'm concerned.  However, looking back, I should have just gotten a couple 301 receivers instead of the 322, and if someone who is considering building a FreeVo, and thinking about the 322 is looking at this, I would just recommend that you go with 2 301's or something like that.

[Edited on 13/1/2005 by Taliesin]

Offline Taliesin

• Padawan Learner
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 09:33:30 PM »
Update...

I just heard back from a very good representative at Dish who said that we can expect ALL Dish receivers to get this ScreenSaver problem in the near future, so this could soon apply to more than just those of us who have the 322 receiver.  

She claims that she has been trying to get an option pushed through that allows the user to disable this thing, but I kind of doubt this.

-Chris

Offline Taliesin

• Padawan Learner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 05:41:47 PM »
Resolution for my Dish 322 screensaver problem finally!

I found that my dish box does not go into Standby Mode right away.  In fact, I had to schedule the Auto-Tuner to tune to channel 13 about  45 minutes  after the thing was scheduled to do the updates.  This means for me that I cannot really record anything between 5am and 5:45am.  This 45 minute blackout time is rather annoying, but something I will just deal with, I think.

Again, the Dish people I have spoken with have assured me that this screensaver thing will be coming to all Dish Receivers via the software updates of these receivers.  If you have your receiver set to schedule updating of the program guide (and it probably complains every time you want to change channels if you do not), then a future software update will install this screensaver thing.

Please anyone, let me know if you have a hack or solution that fixes this problem in a better way, but this will have to work for me until then.  :)

Hope this helps someone else out there.  Again, if I were getting a new setup with Dish, I would consider getting 2 single tuner receivers (I've heard good things about the 301) rather than the 322 just because of this annoying screensaver problem, which has not YET come to the other receivers.

-Chris

Offline xsvfootr

• Bantha Poodu
  • Fighting the 150 demons
    • View Profile
Re: Dish Network 322 Receiver: Screensaver Problem/Possible Solu
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 08:27:48 PM »
Chris,

How are you getting your blaster to control the 322?  I have been unsuccessful and the Hauppauge support people told me it wasn't supported but a new ir driver will be coming out that will support additional stb's (but they couldn't confirm the new stb's).

Offline SHS

• Beta Driver King
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • SHS Unofficial WinTV-PVR & MediaMVP
Re: Dish Network 322 Receiver: Screensaver Problem/Possible Solu
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 02:00:29 AM »
If I recall rigth the Dish 311 is the same as 301 but with one small diff the 311 has 2x more memory to hold a more days of TV Guide,
I be going back to Dishnetwork next week with "2" Dish 811 HDTV and "2" Dish 311 SDTV and final be able get rid this carp TWC which is now 1x woste then where move from, The best thing to do is to keep bitching at Dishnetwork I hope your hang out at dbstalk.com?.