Author Topic: DirectTV help....  (Read 5985 times)

Anonymous

DirectTV help....
« on: August 06, 2004, 12:52:35 PM »
I went through most of the topics, but I still don't really what an IR-blaster is and how to set it up.

Let me get this straight: The IR-Blaster is supposed to interface with the computer and give it the channel listing for my DirectTV(?). What if I just did it manually (used the DirectTV IR remote to change sattelite channels while on Channel 3?). If I wanted to do that, wouldn't I plug the "OUTPUT" cord into my tv tuner? If I did want to use an IR-Blaster to get the channels built in...are there any tutorials on that.

I'm still kinda confused about that...

I'm using the PixelView PlayTV Pro. Thanks!

Offline rampy

• Administrator
  • Jedi Master
  • Defender of DIY DVR, PVR, HTPC, and Semicolons!
    • View Profile
    • Build Your Own PVR Main Site
DirectTV help....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 02:38:50 PM »
I went through most of the topics, but I still don't really what an IR-blaster is and how to set it up.

Let me get this straight: The IR-Blaster is supposed to interface with the computer and give it the channel listing for my DirectTV(?). What if I just did it manually (used the DirectTV IR remote to change sattelite channels while on Channel 3?). If I wanted to do that, wouldn't I plug the "OUTPUT" cord into my tv tuner? If I did want to use an IR-Blaster to get the channels built in...are there any tutorials on that.

I'm still kinda confused about that...

I'm using the PixelView PlayTV Pro. Thanks!

You almost "got" it.  The IR Blaster has nothing to do with channel listings or EPG... it merely acts as a faux-remote control from your PC to your DirectTV.

You can certainly manually change the channel and have your tv tuner card set to channel "3"...  but that's the manual approach...  it'll "work" for recording shows.. but for unattended / automatic recording, you'll want your PC PVR software to control the tunerr on your direcTV satellite....

Note: if you have certain directTV boxes you can hook up a serial or special cable to have you pc control the box directly which is "neater" than an IR blaster.

The exact "how" somewhat depends on which PVr software you end up choosing, which may depend on which operating system you are using, and which ones support your pixelview card (how is that card btw? don't hear much about it... is it hardware or software encoding?)

rampy