Author Topic: dual tuner PVR with DirecTV  (Read 4735 times)

Offline bdee1

• Nerf Herder
  • PVR/DVR/HTPC Junkie
    • View Profile
dual tuner PVR with DirecTV
« on: November 17, 2005, 08:54:29 PM »
i am thinking about putting together my own PVR.  I currently have direcTivo, which is nice with the dual tuners and tivo service but i hate that i miss out on some of the series 2 features on the DTV tivo.  specifically i would love to be able to burn recorded shows to dvd, and schedule recordings via the web.

so... i had been looking at building an htpc box to use with cinemar mainlobby and dvdlobby for accessing my movie collection, so i figured why not add pvr functionality to it.  i looked at the sagetv and beyondtv products and i am kind of leaning toward beyondtv 4.

the one thing that i am kind of skeptical of though is that i definitely want to maintain the dual tuners but it seems a bit cumbersome to do so using  DirecTV set top boxes.  replacing my direcTivo would mean replacing one component with 3 because a dual tuner setup would of course require the HTPC and then 2 dtv receivers.  is there any better way?

also, how would that work?  if i got two standard dtv receivers from them, and wanted to run them into my PC, would i need 2 separate tuner cards?  or is there a single card with 2 inputs that will offer the same performance.  and i would be using a usb-uirt to control it from my pronto (tsu7000) remote, but it only has 1 Ir out port on it.  one port has been fine for me in the past because i have never had 2 of the same model component - so i would just use y-splitters coming out of the single IR port and put a blaster on each component.  a signal to turn my DVD changer on would go out to all components but only my DVD player would recognize it so it was fine.  but if i used the same method with 2 identical dtv receivers the change channel signal would go out to both receivers and change the channel on both of them right?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline g808

• Jedi Master
  • I'm going streaking!
    • View Profile
    • Project HTPC
Re: dual tuner PVR with DirecTV
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 09:35:38 PM »
replacing my direcTivo would mean replacing one component with 3 because a dual tuner setup would of course require the HTPC and then 2 dtv receivers.  is there any better way?
Nope, has to be that way.

also, how would that work?  if i got two standard dtv receivers from them, and wanted to run them into my PC, would i need 2 separate tuner cards?  or is there a single card with 2 inputs that will offer the same performance.
A Hauppauge PVR-500 MCE will work. It comes with a separate bracket that give you an additional s-video and RCA inputs.

and i would be using a usb-uirt to control it from my pronto (tsu7000) remote, but it only has 1 Ir out port on it.
The USB-UIRT has 2 ports to connect 2 separate IR blaster cables. In fact it supports 3 "zones":
- 1 is the blaster itself (front face)
- 2 ports to attach 2 stick-on IR emitters/cables

Offline bdee1

• Nerf Herder
  • PVR/DVR/HTPC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 01:34:55 AM »
bummer -
replacing my direcTivo would mean replacing one component with 3 because a dual tuner setup would of course require the HTPC and then 2 dtv receivers. is there any better way?
Nope, has to be that way.
bummer

also, how would that work? if i got two standard dtv receivers from them, and wanted to run them into my PC, would i need 2 separate tuner cards? or is there a single card with 2 inputs that will offer the same performance.
A Hauppauge PVR-500 MCE will work. It comes with a separate bracket that give you an additional s-video and RCA inputs.
sweet!

and i would be using a usb-uirt to control it from my pronto (tsu7000) remote, but it only has 1 Ir out port on it.
The USB-UIRT has 2 ports to connect 2 separate IR blaster cables. In fact it supports 3 "zones":
good to know - i didnt realize it had 2 ir ports.  i have been using a slink-e and i just ordered mu usb-uirt which shipped today.  now i just gotta get the new HTPC parts.

thanks for the advice.

Offline bdee1

• Nerf Herder
  • PVR/DVR/HTPC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 05:55:27 PM »
good to know - i didnt realize it had 2 ir ports.  i have been using a slink-e and i just ordered mu usb-uirt which shipped today.  now i just gotta get the new HTPC parts.

thanks for the advice.

not true! -- i just received my usb UIRT yesterday and ther is ONE port on it for an external IR blaster.

Offline BigBear

• Jedi Knight
  • HTPC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 08:04:06 PM »
not true! -- i just received my usb UIRT yesterday and ther is ONE port on it for an external IR blaster.
The port in the back is a mini stereo jack. You can add a ?y? cable (stereo-to-mono splitter) plus 2 separate mono IR plugs to get your two separate zones to add to the blaster already in the front. You can find these parts at your local RadioShack and online sites like Smarhome.com
 Mono IR blaster:    Stereo to mono cable:

I hope that helps. :tv:

Offline bdee1

• Nerf Herder
  • PVR/DVR/HTPC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 08:32:11 PM »
yeah i have those parts but i dont think it will actually be 2 seperate zones - if the usbuirt sends an IR command it will go to both od the IR emitters right?  how coudl it knnow which port of the y adapter to go to?

Offline BigBear

• Jedi Knight
  • HTPC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 09:24:26 PM »
how coudl it knnow which port of the y adapter to go to?

How the individual zones are addressed depends on what zone compatible PVR software you use and how you set it up.
For example if you use SageTV, its default setting sends the same exact IR code to all 3 zones as you noted.

But if you edit the USB-UIRT files created (example: C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\Common\RemoteCodes\USB-UIRT Transceiver.), you can activate zone control.

Why don?t you check out this sage thread for more detailed step by step directions.

If you plan to use BeyondTV, you can also check out this BeyondTV thread.

There is also good info at the USB-UIRT forum. Here?s some general zone info from that site.

Offline bdee1

• Nerf Herder
  • PVR/DVR/HTPC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 11:38:40 PM »
thank you for the info - i will look into that.

Offline bdee1

• Nerf Herder
  • PVR/DVR/HTPC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 07:35:07 PM »
The port in the back is a mini stereo jack. You can add a ?y? cable (stereo-to-mono splitter) plus 2 separate mono IR plugs to get your two separate zones to add to the blaster already in the front. You can find these parts at your local RadioShack and online sites like Smarhome.com
 Mono IR blaster:    Stereo to mono cable:

I hope that helps. :tv:

ok so it turns out the splitter i have is a mono splitter.  i went to radio shack last night and asked for the stereo to mono splitter and the guy looked at me like i had 2 heads and after hunting around the shelves said they don't carry such a thing.  and i cant find it on the radio shack website either.  can you suggest a place where i can get one?

also do you know anyplace where i can get inexpensive Ir emitters?

and one last question - if i didn't care about zones and just wanted to blast all Ir out to all emitters, is there a limit to the number of emitters that can be hooked up to the usb-uirt?  i have heard that a powered connecting block is required - if this is true, can someone recommend one?

Offline StephenA

• Bantha Poodu
  • PVR/DVR/HTPC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 03:53:21 AM »
I'm new and have a similar question and issue. I have UlitmateTV (2 tuners). I Plan on getting 2 basic receivers.

Which Hauppauge WinTV Card should I get? 250, 350 or 500. I would prefer to control the recievers using serial and BeyondTV software. The PC is a Shuttle PC with a 2gig proc and gig of RAM.

Offline BigBear

• Jedi Knight
  • HTPC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 07:06:17 PM »
I'm new and have a similar question and issue. I have UlitmateTV (2 tuners). I Plan on getting 2 basic receivers. Which Hauppauge WinTV Card should I get? 250, 350 or 500. I would prefer to control the receivers using serial and BeyondTV software. The PC is a Shuttle PC with a 2gig proc and gig of RAM.

You have to get a DTV receiver that you know is controllable by serial. You should check DTV control first to confirm.

Of the cards you mentioned, only the pvr500 has two built in tuners. Make sure it has a daughter card and that you have space somewhere in your Shuttle to attach it. Also, I don?t have a shuttle but I know the pvr500 is a large PCI size. Make sure it will fit into your case with no problems.

Offline BigBear

• Jedi Knight
  • HTPC Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 07:07:01 PM »
ok so it turns out the splitter i have is a mono splitter.  i went to radio shack last night and asked for the stereo to mono splitter and the guy looked at me like i had 2 heads and after hunting around the shelves said they don't carry such a thing.  and i cant find it on the radio shack website either.  can you suggest a place where i can get one?

Ah?good old RadioCrap. They used to have a better selection of electronic bits and pieces.
This type of adaptor actually comes in many forms. As long as one end is stereo and the other end splits into two mono jacks, you should be ok.
You can go back to RadioShack and see if they have:
1/8" Dual Mono Jack to 1/8" Stereo Plug Adapter  (cat # 274-375).

If you want to get it online, you can try Audiogear and look for:
stereo Mini Plug to Left and Right Mono .

also do you know anyplace where i can get inexpensive Ir emitters?
The prices I?ve seen average $10-$15 dollars for one, but Smarthome has a $6.99 model: STICK-ON IR EMITTER.

and one last question - if i didn't care about zones and just wanted to blast all Ir out to all emitters, is there a limit to the number of emitters that can be hooked up to the usb-uirt?

Yes, the limit is 3 emitters. But the USB-UIRT can send out more than one set of codes out from a zone. Also some set top boxes (mostly satellite) are addressable and you could blast both of those codes from one zone. I don?t know the limit, but their site should have some details.

i have heard that a powered connecting block is required - if this is true, can someone recommend one?
I?m not really familiar with ir connecting blocks. I just heard they are used to retransmit ir codes and outpulse it to a lot of emitters. It sounds like you want to control IR capable devices in different locations.
If no one here has used one, maybe the folks at AVS can help. They seem to do just about everything concerning audio & visual.