Author Topic: Software for descrambling Cable TV?  (Read 72588 times)

Offline WildViper

• Nerf Herder
    • View Profile
    • http://
Software for descrambling Cable TV?
« on: November 14, 2004, 10:33:31 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a software to descramble Cable TV??? I would rather use that then to have buy the IR Blaster. Just trying to see if I can save some money.

Offline rampy

• Administrator
  • Jedi Master
  • Defender of DIY DVR, PVR, HTPC, and Semicolons!
    • View Profile
    • Build Your Own PVR Main Site
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 10:43:15 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a software to descramble Cable TV??? I would rather use that then to have buy the IR Blaster. Just trying to see if I can save some money.  

Nope... I asume you mean digital cable.  There is such a thing as a "CableCard" for legitimate decrypting/decoding of digital cable used in "CableCard" ready HDTV's, but there's no PC equivalent (wish there was)

as you probably know, if you have a specific motorolla box, you can use a serial cable, if you are lucky...

Just an FYI, we really don't discuss *cough* missapropriation of service *cough* type stuff here, we keep it above board =)  Granted it's bullcrap that as a paying subscriber you don't have a good way of using your digital cable without using their cablebox, but that's the way, uh huh uh huh, they like it... uh huh uh huh...

=)

rampy

Offline WildViper

• Nerf Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 10:49:09 PM »
Actually I meant for regular cable...some of the channels, such as TBS/Discovery, are scrambled when I connect the cable directly to my PVR250. Basic channels come fine.

Sorry if this post was leaning towards the "illegal" stuff, but that was not my intention...I pay for the service and would just like to record "regular" cable on my PVR system that I am building without the paying $50 again for an IR blaster. I have already downed $600 into this system without even knowing about it.. :P

Is there a way to descramble regular cable through my PVR??

THanx

Offline xar256

• Padawan Learner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 05:45:34 AM »
What software are you using?  If I understand you right, you're probably getting like channels 2-13 ?  Yet if you hook the same cable up to your tv you get everything right?  I would look at 2 things.  First, check what you're input source is set to in the software...It kinda sounds like it's set to antenna.  Failing that, I would try to rescan the channels and see if things improve.  If that doesn't work, come back with a little more info on your setup.  Analog cable, digital cable box, sat reciever, etc.

Xar256 :D

Offline WildViper

• Nerf Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 07:55:57 PM »
Ok..here is my setup:

Regular Analog Cable

I have hooked it up directly to the 250 card via coax. Within the software, I have chosen NTSC, USA, Cable HRC. Without the HRC, I do not get anything except for public television.

I have channels from 2 through 78.....with this setup, I get the basic channels..2-22(like you said)..but channels such as CNBC/TBS/TNT/Discovery and those come all scrambled. This is part of an additional package that I have through the cable company.

I did do a re-scan and even tried to tune it..but no luck.

I would hate to involve the cable box to de-scramble the image....but if I have no choice, obviously I will have to do it.

Thanx

Offline xar256

• Padawan Learner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 08:21:48 PM »
This sounds kind of weird...It shouldn't discriminate against some channels and not others.  
Just to be sure... You aren't bypassing a cable box of some sort when you hook your pc up right cable converter--> tv   vs.   cable in-->PC > I just want to be sure we're not missing something obvious here.  

Also what software are you using to watch tv with?  The Hauppague software?  Have you upgraded to the latest version?  Have you also installed the latest drivers for the 250 from Hauppauge?  I assume you're located in the US correct?  I'll have to look into what that Cable HRC option is...That may be the problem.

[Edited on 17/11/2004 by xar256]

Offline WildViper

• Nerf Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 09:15:48 PM »
Ok...bypassing a cable converter??? I think I am.

My setup is Cable in > PC. I don't have a cable converter anywhere that I see. When I watch regular TV, the setup is Cable in > Cable Box > TV.

I am bypassing the Cable Box. That is the whole reason I wanted to know if there was a cable tv "software" descrambler...that way, I do not need that cable box which is an old Scientific Atlanta box.

My software and driver versions are updated.

Thanx

Offline xar256

• Padawan Learner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 09:31:34 PM »
Bingo.  Now we're on the same page.  Without the cable box you will only be able to see the analog channels.  The terminal does do the digital to analog convertion.  Odds are that the cable company only sends out the signal for certain channels out digitally, which is why you can't see them.  You must have the terminal hooked up to the pc.

Now your origional question.  There is no legal, or illegal ways, that I'm aware of to descramble those channels with the setup you're looking for.  Odd's are you will need an IR Blaster .  There is a chance that you can hook up a serial connection to your cable terminal and control the channel changes via software.  Look on the back of your terminal, if there is a 9 pin serial port there, you could go that route.

Last option: This may or may work for you depending how much you want your system to do.  Get a programmable remote and set it up so that the number and channel change keys send codes to your cable terminal, and the other buttons control your pc...  Don't need any control cables that way   :D

[Edited on 17/11/2004 by xar256]

Offline rampy

• Administrator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 09:34:49 PM »
I'm guessing that  they purposly scramble certain analog channels in order to get the extended basic folks to upgrade to digial basic tier?

seems odd though, generally if it's a channel under 125 and it's meant to be analog/displayed it should show up...

I think what xar is suggesting is for giggles try running your cable directly to your TV's coax input and using that TV input and see what you get, you SHOULD get the same thing on the PC PVR card.... if if doesn't work on the TV sans cable box, well unfortunately you'd need a cable box for those shows/channels w/pc pvr =(

rampy

Offline WildViper

• Nerf Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 09:51:34 PM »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

That SUX big time. :P I need a IR Blaster...oh well..gotta learn to live with it.

From my research it seems that the 150 comes with a IRBlaster...I should just get that..it is cheaper and works the same. GBPVR does support it somewhat..full support is going to be implemented soon enough. :)

Thanx fellas for your help.

Offline valiamarkais

• Jedi Master
  • Why would anybody want to watch a commercial?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 07:19:44 PM »
From my research it seems that the 150 comes with a IRBlaster

Is this true?  I haven't heard of this...  So, be careful.  I looked at Hauppauge's site and didn't see it in the product description.  Maybe there's a bundle out there for both items.

-VA

Offline Ratteler

• Bantha Poodu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 06:54:42 AM »
Ya know... I'm not sure this is TECHNICALLY Illeagal. You are allowed to purchase your own cable box so you don't have to rent a box fromt he cable company, right?

Well... why shouldn't you be able use the signal your paying for in any way you see fit.

I know there are "illegal" uses where you might descramble content you haven't paid for... but I live in NYC and out of 400+ channels there are about 3 that aren't scrambled. Sorry. but that pisses me off.

We've had it "regulated" that we need to Vchips and cable ready tuners in every set on Earth, and the cable company get's to make all that cr@p compleatly useless in the #1 TV market in the world.

I think... if it were possible, it might NOT be inherently illegal.

Offline WildViper

• Nerf Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 08:47:53 AM »

Is this true?  I haven't heard of this...  So, be careful.  I looked at Hauppauge's site and didn't see it in the product description.  Maybe there's a bundle out there for both items.

-VA

I just got my 150 today. Haven't opened it yet, but on the package content it says: IR Transmitter and Receiver.

Also, check pcalchemy site..they list it as well. And I have spoken with their sales people and they too said it was part of it. That is what makes this 150 an amazing deal.

Offline xar256

• Padawan Learner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 03:58:32 PM »
You know...I wouldn't doubt that this stuff is starting to be included because of the fact that Windows MCE 2005 forces you to have an IR blaster installed before you can run with a digital cable terminal or sat receiver.  
These companies need to play ball with Microsoft, like it or lump it.  Granted this works to our advantage.  I bet we'll start seeing more capture card companies doing this in the near future.

Offline rampy

• Administrator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 04:01:05 PM »

I just got my 150 today. Haven't opened it yet, but on the package content it says: IR Transmitter and Receiver.

Also, check pcalchemy site..they list it as well. And I have spoken with their sales people and they too said it was part of it. That is what makes this 150 an amazing deal.

For pete's sake open it man!  I have a hidden fear that the silver hauppauge remote control counts as a "ir transmitter" in some bizarro world marketing-speak...